APPLICATION GUIDE FOR BIRTH REGISTRATION
1. Registration of Birth from the Current Place of Residence
A. Pre-application process
A child: –
- Whose parents are both citizens of Bhutan; and
- Who is less than or equal to one year from the date of delivery whether the child is born inside or outside the country.
- Duly completed Birth Registration Form No. BCRS-BR-01
- Notification of Birth/Birth Document; OR
Duly completed Information on Birth Form No. BCRS-IB-01
- Parents’ Court Marriage Certificate; and
- Statement of Guarantor BCRS-BR-SG-01.
Need to fulfill the following: –
- Notification of Birth/Birth Document if the birth has occurred inside health facility and Information on Birth (BCRS-IB-01) if the birth has occurred outside health facility;
- Statement of Guarantor supported by parents’ Court Marriage Certificate;
- The signature of HoH is mandatory if the newborn is to be registered in a household other than his/her parents;
- The newborn is less than or equal to one year from the date of delivery at the time of registration; and
- The Guarantor along with a witness must be present in person with the parents/any family member for document verification.
The Guarantor must be a Bhutanese citizen aged 18 to 65 years: –
- someone who has known the parents of the newborn for not less than a year;
- someone from the different household; and
- someone other than the employee of civil registration and census.
The witness must be a Bhutanese citizen aged 18 years and above: –
- someone from the different household
The Guarantor and witness must give their thumb impression only when they visit the registration point.
B. Application process
- Community Service Centre (CSC);
- Drungkhag Civil Registration & Census Office (Only four Drungkhags namely; Lhamoizingkha, Phuentsholing, Tashichholing and Umling)
- Thromde Civil Registration and Census Office (TCRCO)
- Dzongkhag Civil Registration and Census Office (DzCRCO)
Step 1: Keep a copy of Notification of Birth/Birth Document.
Step 2: Keep a copy of parents’ Court Marriage Certificate.
Step 3: Fill up the Birth Registration Form No. BCRS-BR-01 and affix a legal stamp with signatures of both the parents. Obtain the signature of Head of Household, if the newborn is to be registered in a household other than their parents.
Step 4: Find a Guarantor, fill up the Statement of Guarantor and affix a legal stamp.
Step 5: Find a Witness.
Step 6: Visit the registration point with the Guarantor and Witness.
Step 7: Submit the duly completed documents to the registration point.
Step 8: The Guarantor and Witness shall give their thumb impression at the registration point.
Step 9: Your application will be verified and endorsed by officials at the registration point.
Step 10: Upon verification, the official will issue an acknowledgement slip to the parents/family member acknowledging the receipt of duly completed documents.
Step 11: The official shall then process the application for registration in the Bhutan Civil Registration System.
Step 13: Upon successful submission of the application, SMS alert with application number will be sent to your registered mobile number.
Step 14: The application shall be verified and approved in Bhutan Civil Registration System by the Department of Civil Registration and Census officials.
Step 15: The newborn will be registered in the Bhutan Civil Registration System.
Step 16: SMS alert with application number and unique Citizenship Identity number will be sent to your registered mobile number.
Must produce the original Notification of Birth/Birth Document and parents’ Court Marriage Certificate for the validation at the registration point.
The timeframe to register the newborn in the Bhutan Civil Registration System is a maximum of 21 days upon submission of completed documents.
C. Post- Application process
The application status can be traced from the G2C Citizen Service Portal VIEW STATUS with application ID No. received through the SMS.
- Civil Registration and Census Office in 20 Dzongkhags, 4 Thromdes, 4 Drungkhags (Lhamoizingkha, Phuentsholing, Tashichholing and Umling), Community Service Centres where you have submitted the documents.
- Trace contact from the link CONTACT LIST on the Department’s website.
- You can also contact your concerned Gup/Thromde Representative/Thromde Tshogpa.
● Service Evaluation Tool (SET) link
- eKaasel link eKaaSel (citizenservices.gov.bt)
- Toll free number 1199, Public Service Contact Center, PSDD, OPMC